The EKINOPS PM OPS2 is an optical switch module for the EKINOPS 360 family that provides 1+1(50 ms) or "Optical UPSR/SNCP" protection capability either at the WDM line level or card level for either 1310 nm or 1550 nm wavelengths. The PM OPS2 card is used in pairs, one at each endof the optical signal to be protected, and provides "bridge-and-select" protection functionality.
At the head end of the signal to be protected, each OPS provides a "Bridge" capability. It accepts an input signal and replicates that signal across two fiber outputs, providing an exact copy. On the other end of the signal to be protected, each corresponding OPS2 provides a "Select" capability. It receives the two outputs generated by the "Bridge" end OPS2 and "Selects" the one that is not currently in a loss of signal state. If neither is in a loss of signal state, the signal selected is dependent on the mode for which the OPS2 is programmed.
The PM OPS2 can be placed between a source optical signal and the EKINOPS 360 transponders in order to provide card level protection as follows:
In Figure 1, the input signal (services) is being replicated to two transponders each. Each transponder carries a duplicate of the input signal across the network so that if any one card/transponder fails, the service will still reach its destination. The EKINOPS PM OPS2 can also be used to replicate and protect the composite WDM signal being transported by the EKINOPS 360 system. In order to do this, one can place the PM OPS2 on the line output of an EKINOPS 360 system where it can receive the composite WDM signal for replication.
The EKINOPS PM OPS2 can be programmed to switch in 3 different modes:
- In Revertive mode, the PM OPS2 will switch from a primary signal to a backup signal whenthe primary signal fails. Upon restoration of the primary signal, the PM OPS2 will switch back.
- In Non-Revertive mode, neither signal is primary. The PM OPS2 will switch to the alternate signal when the signal it is using fails but will not revert to the original signal upon restoration. A failure of the new signal it is utilizing will however cause it to switch back to the original signal.
- In Manual mode, no automatic switch will take place. The network operator must manually switch the PM OPS2 from one signal to the other.
The EKINOPS PM OPS2 module is also supported by Celestis NMS, the EKINOPS advanced Network Management System.
- Card level and line level protection with 50 ms switch times
- Supports either 1310 nm or 1550 nmclient wavelengths
- Support for revertive, non-revertive, or manual switching modes
- Digital Diagnostic Monitoring and management via SNMP or the EKINOPS Java Craft Interface (EEM)
- Remote management through telnet or SSH
The EKINOPS PM OPS2 can be used for any application that requires line level or card level protection. The PM OPS2 is rate agnostic so, when used for card level protection, it can accept any optical signal as an input for protection meaning that it can be used to protect any service type. This type of redundancy is particularly important for applications like disaster recovery, datacenter interconnect and for carrier services where a high level of availability has been committed.
- Datacenter interconnect
- Disaster recovery
- Business Ethernet services
- Metro and access rings