The EKINOPS PM ORA14, part of the EKINOPS 360 platform, uses enhanced Raman amplification to extend the span reach of optical DWDM networks. In addition, the PM ORA14 also improves OSNR (Optical Signal to Noise Ratio).
The EKINOPS PM ORA14 offers a maximum output power of 28.5 dBm.
The amplifier includes an automatic eye safety mechanism that shuts down the amplifier or reduces the power within class 1M in case of fiber link interruption. This comprehensive safety mechanism is extremely important due to the Raman amplifiers’ high output power.
It is a 1 slot large Pluggable Module (PM).
As shown in Figure 1, the PM ORA14 is well suited for RAMAN Amplification for Long Distance (“hut skipping”) and Submarine Transport for applications.
Finally, the PM ORA14 is also adapted to multi-hop transmissions (Figure 2) where the RAMAN amplification improves the overall OSNR. This enables for instance technology disruptive steps such as passing from 10G to 100G, or even from 100Gbps to 200Gbps line rates which rely on higher order modulation formats. Since the latter are more sensitive to the accumulated noise, their usage would not be possible when solely relying on EDFA amplification.
- Pluggable module, 1 slot large
- Network-ready Raman amplifier that can be used contra-directional and co-directional
- Comprehensive eye safety - Class 1M
- Automatic shutdown and restart
- Up to 14 dB gain on G652 fiber
- Alerts for fiber link degradation and/or gain reduction
- Distributed Raman amplification - co & contra-propagation schemes
- Long single-span links and elimination of intermediate amplifier sites (hut skipping)
- High-capacity long reach distances - OSNR improvement oriented design (compared to noisy EDFA only)